The Giving Report 2010 focused on the giving behaviour of High Net Worth individuals with regard to the following: the amount of money donated, time and/or goods donated; volunteering patterns such as the influence of gender and income; the amount of years individuals have been involved in giving; their motivation for giving; and the frequency and scope of giving, such as, how many times per year donors give and the most prevalent sectors and/or projects to which they give.
- Of those who did not give in 2010, about half felt nothing will change their opinions of giving in future.
- 19% percent of respondents were motivated to give by religious beliefs.
- Those whose source of wealth is investment success tend to give more.
- The desire to ‘make a difference’, to ‘give back’ and ‘caring about a cause’ are the key drivers for giving.
- Only 26% of the respondents have both a strategy and budget for giving.
- Males were found to give higher amounts than females. To some extent this is due to males earning greater amounts than females.